Re: Working with very large datasets

From: Lex Berezhny <LBerezhny(at)DevIS(dot)com>
To: Wilkinson Charlie E <Charlie(dot)E(dot)Wilkinson(at)irs(dot)gov>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Working with very large datasets
Date: 2003-02-12 00:33:03
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Tue, 2003-02-11 at 18:42, Wilkinson Charlie E wrote:
> Greetings,
> Can anyone enlighten me or point me at resources concerning use of
> pgsql with
> very large datasets?

[snip]

> SELECT userid,name,size,mtime FROM users INNER JOIN files ON
> users.fileid = files.fileid;

If you just want to see a sample result from that query in psql, then
you can use LIMIT:

SELECT userid,name,size,mtime FROM users INNER JOIN files ON
users.fileid = files.fileid LIMIT 100;

This should only return 100 rows.

I hope that helps.

I think there is also a way to specify offsets so that you can return
the rows in batches.

--
Lex Berezhny <LBerezhny(at)DevIS(dot)com>