Re: the lock mechanism

From: Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Sumaira Ali <nat_lazy(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: the lock mechanism
Date: 2003-02-04 23:54:50
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Tue, 2003-02-04 at 23:25, Sumaira Ali wrote:
> hi,
> i found this piece of documentation on user locks in the postgresql
> source code in the file lock.c
> "
>
> User locks are handled totally on the application side as
>
> could some one enlighten me on the meaning of " locked at application
> level in this context..!!

It means your program knows about it, but PostgreSQL doesn't, except for
the purpose of telling your program. If you use user locks, it is up to
you to have your program respect them; the database won't do it for you.

--
Oliver Elphick Oliver(dot)Elphick(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk
Isle of Wight, UK http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver