Re: VACUUM ANALYSE...

From: Ron Johnson <ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net>
To: PgSQL Novice ML <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: VACUUM ANALYSE...
Date: 2003-01-16 12:01:27
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Thu, 2003-01-16 at 04:37, Thilo Hille wrote:
> Hello,
> I have a database running with postgres 7.2.3-1.
> Some tables gets feed with about 200000 records a day. A cronjob does
> "VACUUM ANALYSE" at night.
> This takes about an hour. In this time the performance gets real bad. After
> a short period the client (Apache running on another machine) hits the
> MAX_CONNECTION value and refuses any incoming connections. Systemload goes
> up to 20..
> Is there any option to get a vacuum-analyse less priority or should i
> upgrade to the latest version?
> excerpt form the postgresql.conf:
>
> shared_buffers =70000
> max_fsm_relations = 100
> max_fsm_pages = 2000
> sort_mem = 128
> vacuum_mem = 8192

Could you run the cron job more often? That way, you'd be spreading
the pain and each VACUUM ANALYSE would be doing less work.

| Ron Johnson, Jr. mailto:ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net |
| Jefferson, LA USA http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson |
| |
| "Basically, I got on the plane with a bomb. Basically, I |
| tried to ignite it. Basically, yeah, I intended to damage |
| the plane." |
| RICHARD REID, who tried to blow up American Airlines |
| Flight 63 |