Re: \d type queries - why not views in system catalog?!?

From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: \d type queries - why not views in system catalog?!?
Date: 2003-01-14 18:26:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 2003-01-14 at 15:47, Tom Lane wrote:
> Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee> writes:
> > Will information_schema be strictly SQL99 or will it also have
> > PostgreSQL specific views/fields ?
>
> If it's not strictly conformant to the spec, I see no value in it at
> all.

I mean that it could have at least extra *views* for postgresql specific
things. It could also have extra *fields* on standard views, but that
might break some apps. I see no way how having extra views can break
apps.

> > We already have plenty of ability to query the catalogs via
> non-standard queries.

But would it not be nice to have some standard ones, so that each and
every DB management app does not need to invent its own ?

I agree that this could be done as a project at gborg rather than in
information_schema, but it would still be good to have one standard
place for examples at least. And the only way to keep the examples
up-to-date is by using them in live projects.

--
Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>