Re: auto stop postmaster on cygwin

From: Tim Ellis <pvspam-postgres(at)hacklab(dot)net>
To: "somphong s(dot)" <sp2gui(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: auto stop postmaster on cygwin
Date: 2003-01-11 18:26:10
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Wed, 2003-01-08 at 22:40, somphong s. wrote:
> i use postgresql 7.3 on cygwin on windows xp home.
> i have found somebody suggestion to start pg process as service on XP.
> i try and succesful on start as service , and auto start when start
> PC.
> but i must manually stop the postmaster before i shutdown or restart
> PC.

Why? Is XP broken now?

On Win2K, you simply set the service to be "automatic" and it would
start at boot and stop at shutdown.

Could be a problem of Windows XP Home. Microsoft has purposefully
crippled XP Home in a number of ways and it wouldn't surprise me if
services aren't really stopped at shutdown anymore.

> 2nd question is : if i forget to stop process , will have any problem
> or not?

Odds are better that you will have problems if you don't stop the
process properly. Get the service-stopping working.

--
Tim Ellis
Senior Database Architect