Re: Strange error in 7.3.1

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Duncan Adams (DNS)" <duncan(dot)adams(at)vcontractor(dot)co(dot)za>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Strange error in 7.3.1
Date: 2003-06-11 13:21:57
Lists: pgsql-novice

"Duncan Adams (DNS)" <duncan(dot)adams(at)vcontractor(dot)co(dot)za> writes:
> bash-2.05$ ./psql
> ERROR: parser: parse error at or near "."
> Welcome to psql 7.3.1, the PostgreSQL interactive terminal.

Looks to me like you are trying to use 7.3 psql to talk to a 7.2 or
older server. This will mostly work, but a lot of backslash commands
now use syntax that the older server won't understand (such as schema
prefixes, which is what causes the startup error). Usually you want
to use a psql of the same vintage as the server.