Re: Column information

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
Cc: Igor Korot <ikorot01(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alban Hertroys <haramrae(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Column information
Date: 2017-05-04 15:49:28
Lists: pgsql-general

Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com> writes:
> Think I answered my own question. Numeric refers to all the types under:
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/datatype-numeric.html
> not just the specific type numeric.

Right. This overloading of the term "numeric" is a bit unfortunate,
but it's not all our fault, because the SQL standard does the same
thing --- for instance they write

— The data types NUMERIC, DECIMAL, SMALLINT, INTEGER, and BIGINT are
collectively referred to as exact numeric types.
— The data types FLOAT, REAL, and DOUBLE PRECISION are collectively
referred to as approximate numeric types.
— Exact numeric types and approximate numeric types are collectively
referred to as numeric types. Values of numeric types are referred
to as numbers.