Re: Yet one more stupid question

From: Ron Johnson <ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net>
To: PgSQL Novice ML <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Yet one more stupid question
Date: 2002-12-05 00:22:02
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Wed, 2002-12-04 at 15:44, Dmitri Touretsky wrote:
> Good time of the day!
[snip]
> But I have an extended question: is there a cost-effective (in terms
> of performance) way to add record to a large table? I don't need
> indexing or such - just to add some data, e.g., a log record. Currently
> I insert records into small table, than at night run a batch which is
> moving added records from small table to the large one. Trying to add
> records to large table "on the fly" causes noticable performance
> degradation, but would be desirable if it's possible...

Slowdown when inserting into a high-tuple table vs. a low-tuple
table?

| Ron Johnson, Jr. mailto:ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net |
| Jefferson, LA USA http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson |
| |
| "they love our milk and honey, but preach about another |
| way of living" |
| Merle Haggard, "The Fighting Side Of Me" |