Re: Exception: No primary keys?

From: Dave Cramer <Dave(at)micro-automation(dot)net>
To: Han <zhouhanok(at)vip(dot)sina(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Exception: No primary keys?
Date: 2002-12-02 13:50:06
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Han,

In order for the updateXXX to work it needs a primary key. This is in
the spec. Furthermore, under the covers this is what is going on.

when you call updateXXX, the driver does

update foo set column=newval where primarykey=val

It needs the primary key to be able to figure out which row to update.

Dave
On Mon, 2002-12-02 at 03:43, Han wrote:
> pgsql-jdbc
>
> A simplest test failed when I use postgresql and pgsql-jdbc driver which were build from postgresql7.3b5 source code.
> The test code is:
> ..

> --
> Dave Cramer <davec(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>
> Cramer Consulting
> 14 try{
> 15 Class.forName(strDrv);
> 16 conn = DriverManager.getConnection(strUrl, "postgl", "");
> 17 stmt = conn.createStatement();

> --
> Dave Cramer <davec(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>
> Cramer Consulting
> 18 rs = stmt.executeQuery(strSql);
> 19 while (rs.next())
> 20 {
> 21 System.out.println(rs.getString(1));
> 22 }
> 23 //rs.beforeFirst();
> 24 while (rs.previous())
> 25 {
> 26 System.out.println(rs.getString(1));
> 27 }
> 28 rs.moveToInsertRow();
> 29 rs.updateInt("a", 100);
> 30 rs.insertRow();
> 31 } catch(Exception e){
> 32 System.out.println(e.toString());
> 33 }
>
> The table "test" has only two columns(a int, b varchar) and no primary keys.
> The error message is: No primary keys.
> It's all right with line 28,29 and 30 commented out.
> It will also succedd when the table "test" has a primary key.
> Can you tell me why?
> My environment is:
> redhat 7.3
> j2sdk1.4.1_01
> ant1.5.1
>
> Thanks and regards,
>

>         Han
>         zhouhanok(at)vip(dot)sina(dot)com
>           2002-12-02

Dave Cramer <Dave(at)micro-automation(dot)net>