Re: Vacuum improvement

From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>
To: Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Vacuum improvement
Date: 2002-10-16 04:16:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 2002-10-16 at 05:22, Gavin Sherry wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm thinking that there is an improvement to vacuum which could be made
> for 7.4. VACUUM FULLing large, heavily updated tables is a pain. There's
> very little an application can do to minimise dead-tuples, particularly if
> the table is randomly updated. Wouldn't it be beneficial if VACUUM could
> have a parameter which specified how much of the table is vacuumed. That
> is, you could specify:
>
> VACUUM FULL test 20 precent;

What about

VACUUM FULL test WORK 5 SLEEP 50;

meaning to VACUUM FULL the whole table, but to work in small chunks and
relaese all locks and let others access the tables between these ?

You could even fire up a separate thread to

VACUUM [FULL] test WORK 5 SLEEP 50 CONTINUOUS;

To keep vacuuming a heavily updated table.

Hannu