Re: foreign key problem with pg_dump under 7.3b2

From: John Halderman <john(at)paymentalliance(dot)net>
To: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone23(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: foreign key problem with pg_dump under 7.3b2
Date: 2002-10-15 19:33:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 2002-10-15 at 15:12, Stephan Szabo wrote:
> On 15 Oct 2002, John Halderman wrote:
>
> > I'm currently using 7.3b2 for test and development. I ran into a
problem
> > using a dumped schema from pg_dump. After importing the dumped
schema,
> > any delete or update involving a foreign key results in a relation 0
> > does not exist error. I noticed that all my foreign key declarations
> > were moved from the table create to separate statements at the
bottom of
> > the dump file. Thanks in advance for any insight into this problem
you
> > can lend.
>
> If the data has moved from earlier versions (I think 7.0.x) there was
> bug in an older pg_dump that dropped a piece of information (the
> related table) and the loss would be carried along. That
> information is now used rather than the name passed in the args
> so said dumps break on b2. Current sources should fill in the missing
> information whenever possible.

Actually we are dumping from b2 to b2. Also the problem doesn't seem to
be
related to the data or missing data. I can infer this because I am doing
a schema only dump. After I import this dump i create some test data and
still run into the relation 0 does not exist error. I think it has
something to do with the way the dump defines the foreign key
constraints and triggers. Thanks again for the help.

-john