postgres 7.2.1 and PAM

From: James West <westj(at)sunnydaleschool(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: postgres 7.2.1 and PAM
Date: 2002-08-10 22:28:39
Lists: pgsql-general

I'm having some trouble getting pam to work with postgres.

I've just tried to get to work from a system account...

/etc/pam.d/postgresql looks like:

auth required /usr/lib/security/pam_unix.so
account required /usr/lib/security/pam_unix.so

pg_hba.conf looks like

local all pam postgresql
host all 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 pam postgresql

But, all I get when I try to connect is:

FATAL 1: PAM authentication failed for user "postgres"

The server chucks this out whilst trying to connect with the client...

CheckPAMAuth: pam_acct_mgmt failed: 'Conversation Error'
FATAL 1: PAM authentication failed for user "postgres"
DEBUG pq_flush(): send() failed:Broken pipe
CheckPAMAuth: pam_acct_mgmt failed: 'Authentication failure'
FATAL 1: PAM authentication failed for user "postgres"

Does anyone know what I've done wrong?

Thanks.

James West
westj(at)sunnydaleschool(dot)co(dot)uk