oid's and primary keys on insert

From: Rob Brown-Bayliss <rob(at)zoism(dot)org>
To: PostgreSQL General List <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: oid's and primary keys on insert
Date: 2002-08-09 06:41:10
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello, I know it is posible to get the oid of the last row inserted to
from a cursor.

My question is what happens when/if PostgreSQL stops useing oids?

Or, to put it another way, my application needs to get the primary key
of some rows when they are inserted and not others, is there a future
proof way of doing this?

Thanks

--

*