Re: Major upgrade of PostgreSQL and MySQL

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Ivan Voras <ivoras(at)freebsd(dot)org>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Major upgrade of PostgreSQL and MySQL
Date: 2013-09-13 13:58:48
Lists: pgsql-general

> * Ivan Voras (ivoras(at)freebsd(dot)org) wrote:
>> If I read the documentation correctly
>> (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/pgupgrade.html), it needs
>> oldbindir and newbindir arguments pointing to the directories of
>> PostgreSQL executables for the old and new versions, making it basically
>> unusable for upgrading systems which are maintained with packages
>> instead of individually compiling & installing custom versions of
>> PostgreSQL, right? (except possibly Debian which may allow multiple pg
>> versions to be installed, I haven't tried it).

> Uhm, don't basically all Debian-based and RedHat-based distributions
> support having multiple major versions installed concurrently? It's a
> pretty reasonable thing to need and, imv anyway, all packaging of PG
> should support it.

In Red Hat's own packaging, you should temporarily install the
postgresql-upgrade RPM, which contains pg_upgrade as well as a copy
of the previous-generation postmaster. If you use Devrim's packages,
I think he more nearly follows the Debian approach. Either way, if
a packager has failed to allow pg_upgrade to be usable within his
package set(s), it's a packaging error that you should complain
about.