Re: Testing LISTEN/NOTIFY more effectively

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Testing LISTEN/NOTIFY more effectively
Date: 2019-07-27 23:27:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> We could of course just send the pids in binary ;). No, not worth it
> just to avoid a small redundant array ;)

IIRC, we'd have to do htonl on them, so we'd still end up with
two representations ...

> Hm. I wonder if all that's happening with prairedog is that the notice
> is sent a bit later. I think that could e.g. conceivably happen because
> it TCP_NODELAY isn't supported on prariedog? Or just because the machine
> is very slow?

The notices (not notifies) are coming out in the opposite order from
expected. I haven't really thought hard about what's causing that;
it seems odd, because isolationtester isn't supposed to give up waiting
for a session until it's visibly blocked according to pg_locks. Maybe
it needs to recheck for incoming data once more after seeing that?