Re: Can't get ODBC from Windows to Linux/Postgres to work

From: Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Can't get ODBC from Windows to Linux/Postgres to work
Date: 2002-03-12 08:03:53
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, 2002-03-12 at 01:51, Jeff Martin wrote:
> > Does pg_hba.conf allow TCP/IP access?
> I think the problem is here. The documentation within the pg_hba.conf
> file suggests that all TCP/IP connections need to use IDENT authentication.
> I just turned on the ident deamon on the Linux box hosting the database,
> but still can't make the connection. Anyone know more about ident
> authentication with the postgres database?

It is the remote (client) end of the connection that runs identd; in
this case, that is the Microsoft box.

MS box ----->-- ODBC request ------> PostgreSQL server

--<--------- ident request -----<---------

-------->--- ident response ------>-------

<--- connection refused --- No <- validation OK?

Yes

<----------- ODBC connection -----<-------

identd responds to a request to know who is trying to make the
connection. It is inherently insecure, since you are depending on the
client end to tell the truth. In the case of a Microsft system, that
seems very unwise!

Quite likely, in this case, the connection problem is because the
Microsoft box is not running an ident server.

--
Oliver Elphick Oliver(dot)Elphick(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk
Isle of Wight http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver

"And now abideth faith, hope, love, these three; but
the greatest of these is love."
I Corinthians 13:13