Re: ERROR: tuple concurrently updated

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Russell Smith <mr-russ(at)pws(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ERROR: tuple concurrently updated
Date: 2006-11-05 04:44:50
Lists: pgsql-general

Russell Smith <mr-russ(at)pws(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> I got this error the other day, I was under the impression that vacuum could get a concurrently updated tuple. I could be wrong. It is possible for somebody to quickly explain this situation? Message follows;

> vacuumdb: vacuuming of table "school.person" in database "sqlfilter" failed: ERROR: tuple concurrently updated

Was this a VACUUM ANALYZE, and if so might there have been another
ANALYZE running concurrently on that table? If so, this is just a
reflection of concurrent attempts to update the same pg_statistic
row. It's harmless since the ANALYZE that didn't fail presumably
stored pretty nearly the same results. There is some interlocking
to prevent the error in CVS HEAD, though.