Re: Large number of partitions of a table

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala(dot)mladen(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Large number of partitions of a table
Date: 2022-01-19 00:09:55
Lists: pgsql-admin

On 1/18/22 09:47, Ron wrote:
> EXPLAIN plans are going to be hilariously gigantic, which means that
> query planning would take a loooong time,  And the query planner (in
> v12, at least) can generate some pretty bad plans in partitioned
> tables; I bet there are edge cases in the QP code that don't work well
> with 10000 partitions and 50000 indices.

These things sometimes happen. On the oracle-l, there is a thread in
progress about a generated SQL with 130,000 lines which fails parsing
because parsing exhausts the available memory. In such cases, I am less
inclined to look for a fault with the database software and more
inclined to inflict an unusual and cruel punishment on whoever has
designed the data model.

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant