Re: BUG #15285: Query used index over field with ICU collation in some cases wrongly return 0 rows

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Daniel Verite <daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org>, Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais <jgdr(at)dalibo(dot)com>
Subject: Re: BUG #15285: Query used index over field with ICU collation in some cases wrongly return 0 rows
Date: 2020-09-03 08:26:03
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On 2020-09-03 09:41, Daniel Verite wrote:
> Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais wrote:
>
>> Maybe Daniel has some more experience feedback with other customizations
>
> No, I've just tried various other reorderings, and didn't find any other that
> seems to have the same bug as latn-digit.
> My tests consisted of indexing a large corpus of text and running the
> index through amcheck.

In this case I'm tempted to just leave it alone and write it off as a
bug in ICU. We could potentially inspect the collator object at CREATE
COLLATION time and issues warnings if we find something we know to be buggy.

I don't think we want to make our code uglier and slower for normal uses
to work around a bug in some niche feature in ICU.