UUID type question

From: Laura Smith <n5d9xq3ti233xiyif2vp(at)protonmail(dot)ch>
To: postgre <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: UUID type question
Date: 2022-02-18 14:06:28
Lists: pgsql-general

I'm *sure* I've seen this discussed on here before - infact I'm worried it might even have been me who asked the question !

But I've searched the archives without luck, so here goes :

Is there anything inherently "special" about the UUID type ? i.e. if I store a UUID in a text is it "worse" ? (I'm speaking here about performance & storage, obviously, not the fact that uuid enforces the formatting).

Thanks !

Laura