Re: UPDATE becomes mired / win32

From: <me(at)alternize(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Steve Peterson" <stevep-hv(at)zpfe(dot)com>
Subject: Re: UPDATE becomes mired / win32
Date: 2006-10-04 18:13:33
Lists: pgsql-performance

> The table, VOTER, contains 3,090,013 rows and each row is about 120 bytes
> wide. It's loaded via a batch process in one shot, and the load is
> followed by an VACUUM FULL ANALYZE. Its structure is shown at the bottom
> of the message.

if the table wasn't empty before and has indices defined, try a "REINDEX
TABLE VOTER" before running the update. i had a similar case where an often
updated table was vacuumed regurarly, but the indices grew and grew and
grew. in my case the table - even when empty and analyze full'ed was 1.2gb
according to pgadmin due to (outdated) indices. a reindex fixed all my
performance issues.

- thomas