Re: First draft of 9.5 release announcement, please comment/edit/suggest

From: "Charles Clavadetscher" <clavadetscher(at)swisspug(dot)org>
To: "'PostgreSQL Advocacy'" <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: First draft of 9.5 release announcement, please comment/edit/suggest
Date: 2016-01-03 11:51:58
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Hello

>> Generally best to define first occurrence of acronyms with full name spelled-out. But I don’t know if I would bother with these two or not.
>> —
>> PCI, HIPAA
>> —
>
>Those are external acronyms, and in common usage in the USA; do they
>need to be spelled out? Frankly, I use them and have no idea what they
>stand for. What do other people think?
>
>PCI is payment card industry. I think that one is fairly well known across IT globally, because it's a global standard.
>
>HIPAA I have no idea what the acronym means, and very little about what it means to people either. AFAIK that's a US only standard, and for that reason it would probably be a good idea to spell it out.

Possibly https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_Insurance_Portability_and_Accountability_Act.

Considering that many acronyms can have different meaning I would find it helpful to know what they are supposed to mean in the specific context. Even within IT there are acronyms with different meaning. Consider e.g. CDR: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CDR. I agree that the context usually is enough to understand, but it does not harm to define them. This can be, as suggested in a footnote, at first occurence or in an external acronyms list. I find the last option better and easier to maintain.

Bye
Charles