Problem Connecting to 5432

From: "Casey, J Bart" <CaseyJB(at)wofford(dot)edu>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Problem Connecting to 5432
Date: 2006-06-14 05:08:18
Lists: pgsql-general

All,

I have read message after message and searched the internet for hours,
yet I still can't get a remote computer to connect to port 5432 on my
Fedora Core 3 system running Postgresql 7.4.7.

What I have done:

1) Stopped the iptables service

2) Modified postgresql.conf and added the following lines

tcpip_socket = true

port = 5432

3) Modified pg_hba.conf and added

host all all (my ip address)
255.255.255.255 trust

4) Modified the postgresql startup script to use the -i flag

5) Verified that postmaster is running with the -i flag... ps ax | grep
postmaster output:

4259 pts/1 S 0:00 /usr/bin/postmaster -p 5432 -D
/var/lib/pgsql/data -i

6) Tried to verify that the server was listening on port 5432 only to
find out that it isn't. The netstat output follows:

tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:8438 0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN

tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:5432 0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN

tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:25 0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN

tcp 0 0 :::80 :::*
LISTEN

tcp 0 0 :::22 :::*
LISTEN

tcp 0 0 :::443 :::*
LISTEN

As you can see it is only listening on the loopback interface

I'm quite certain the issue is how I am starting the service, but I've
added the -i flag.

I'm all out of ideas on this one. Any and all help is greatly
appreciated.

Regards,

Bart