DB access speeds, App(linux)<->PG(linux) vs App(linux) <->MSSql(Windows)

From: "Gauthier, Dave" <dave(dot)gauthier(at)intel(dot)com>
To: Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: DB access speeds, App(linux)<->PG(linux) vs App(linux) <->MSSql(Windows)
Date: 2015-06-24 13:44:46
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi: I'm trying to get a 10,000 ft understanding of the difference in DB access speeds for two different scenarios...

Scenario 1: Apps are on linux. PG DB is on linux (different server than apps)
Scenario 2: Apps are on linux. MSSql DB is on Windows (obviously a different server)

The apps are typically perl scripts using Perl DBI.
I'm thinking that since perl has a DBD driver for PG, that would be faster than going through ODBC to get to the MsSQL DB, but I'm not sure about that.

Any insights/guesses ?

Thanks in Advance.