Re: DIAG [HY000] server closed the connection unexpectedly

From: "Tsunakawa, Takayuki" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: 'Jon Raiford' <Raiford(at)labware(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: DIAG [HY000] server closed the connection unexpectedly
Date: 2016-10-20 01:41:38
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Hi, Jon

From: pgsql-odbc-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
> [mailto:pgsql-odbc-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org] On Behalf Of Jon Raiford
> It would seem that I was mistaken. My simple test case did produce the
> expected 08001 SQLSTATE with the updated driver, but when I scaled up to
> multiple connections it was not consistent. In the end I am now simply
> check HY000 errors and change them to 08001 if the text matches "*server
> closed the connection*". A brute force method, but it allows me to move
> forward.
>
> Of course it may be that I made a mistake in applying the patch or my build
> environment. I will happily test an updated build when it becomes available
> and report back.

First, the SQLSTATE is 08S01, not 08001.

Yes, I'd appreciate it if you could report back the details. I have no idea about any problem which can happen with simultaneous multiple connections.

BTW, you seem to want a method to judge that the connection is lost. Then, SQLGetConnectAttr(hdbc, SQL_ATTR_CONNECTION_DEAD) should be the right answer. See the following page, and please try it.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms713605(v=vs.85).aspx

SQL_ATTR_CONNECTION_DEAD
A read-only SQLUINTEGER value that indicates the state of the connection. If SQL_CD_TRUE, the connection has been lost. If SQL_CD_FALSE, the connection is still active.

> Assuming this is accepted and committed, is there any idea when an official
> updated installer may be posted?

Sorry, I'm not in the position to decide it. Inoue-san and Saito-san will do.

Regards
Takayuki Tsunakawa