linux supportability

From: "McMillan, Scott A" <scott(dot)a(dot)mcmillan(at)intel(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: linux supportability
Date: 2016-05-02 16:45:37
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Hi,

I'm new to psql-odbc.

I maintain a Linux tool that uses ODBC (unixODBC) for database access. I am considering redistributing a prebuilt psqlODBC driver with my tool to make it as easy as possible for my users to access Postgres databases. However, I am wondering if this is wise or not? (I am not thinking about redistributing Postgres itself; the user needs to install and setup their database backend.)

How compatible is a binary psqlODBC shared library with different versions or installations of Postgres?

Would it actually be more supportable to have users install the psqlODBC shared library from their Linux distribution if they don't want to build from source?

What is the recommendation?

Thanks,
Scott