Re: [18] separate collation and ctype versions, and cleanup of pg_database locale fields

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [18] separate collation and ctype versions, and cleanup of pg_database locale fields
Date: 2024-07-27 15:34:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 2024-07-25 at 13:29 -0700, Jeff Davis wrote:
> it may be a good idea to version collation and ctype
> separately. The ctype version is, more or less, the Unicode version,
> and we know what that is for the builtin provider as well as ICU.

Attached a rough patch for the purposes of discussion. It tracks the
ctype version separately, but doesn't do anything with it yet.

The main problem is that it's one more slightly confusing thing to
understand, especially in pg_database because it's the ctype version of
the database default collation, not necessarily datctype.

Maybe we can do something with the naming or catalog representation to
make this more clear?

Regards,
Jeff Davis

Attachment Content-Type Size
v1-0001-Add-datctypeversion-and-collctypeversion.patch text/x-patch 24.1 KB