Re: Enhancement to psql command, feedback.

From: Ron <ronljohnsonjr(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Enhancement to psql command, feedback.
Date: 2018-05-09 13:17:48
Lists: pgsql-general

On 05/09/2018 02:59 AM, John McKown wrote:
> I just wanted to throw this out to the users before I made a complete fool
> of myself by formally requesting it. But I would like what I hope would be
> a minor change (enhancement) to the psql command. If you look on this
> page, https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Shared_Database_Hosting ,
> you will see a number of example which look like:
>
> psql -U postgres template1 -f - << EOT
>
> REVOKE ALL ON DATABASE template1 FROM public;
> REVOKE ALL ON SCHEMA public FROM public;
> GRANT ALL ON SCHEMA public TO postgres;
> CREATE LANGUAGE plpgsql;
>
> EOT
>
> To me this looks similar to a UNIX shell script.

Because it *is* a Unix shell script.  The "<< EOT" is part of a heredoc,
which is designed to keep everything in one place instead of needing a
second file for the SQL commands.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Here_document

(The concept is as old as computing.  Anyone who's worked on mainframes or
proprietary minicomputers from DEC will instantly recognize it.)