Re: Is it possible to control the location of the lock file when starting postgres?

From: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Is it possible to control the location of the lock file when starting postgres?
Date: 2016-07-21 00:21:15
Lists: pgsql-general

On 7/20/2016 5:12 PM, Steve Langlois wrote:
> Then I try to run psql and
>
> [20:01:11 slanglois(at)tron bin]$ psql
> psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory
> Is the server running locally and accepting
> connections on Unix domain socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432”?
>
> I would expect local all all trust to allow me to connect.

did you read the error? do you note that there is nothing there about
authentication? in fact, psql was completely unabl eot connect to the
server, since its domain socket is not IN /var/run/postgresql/ since
you moved it to /tmp

you can override the path to do the domain socket with -h, like

psql -h /tmp