Re: DNS vs /etc/hosts

From: Gregory Youngblood <pgcluster(at)netio(dot)org>
To: Lowell(dot)Hought(at)faa(dot)gov
Cc: "WELTY, RICHARD" <richard(dot)welty(at)bankofamerica(dot)com>, PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Richard_D_Levine(at)raytheon(dot)com
Subject: Re: DNS vs /etc/hosts
Date: 2005-08-05 06:09:09
Lists: pgsql-general

On Aug 4, 2005, at 2:39 PM, Lowell(dot)Hought(at)faa(dot)gov wrote:

> Both dig and nslookup are fast on all machines. 'psql' is fast on
> all machines, as long as I am using the version compiled with
> version 7.2. It is only 'psql' compiled with version 8.0 that is
> slow. I don't think DNS is the problem, but rather the way psql in
> version 8.0 attempts to get the DNS info. My Linux kernal version
> is 2.4.18.

Silly question.

Could the version of psql from 8.0 be linked against readline, and
it's reading in and storing in memory some of the information it
needs to have cached in order to provide the tab-completion feature?
And, 7.2 is not?

I've seen some delays with both mysql and pgsql when readline
libraries are involved on databases with lots of tables and fields in
them.

Just a thought.
Greg