Money variable

From: "Duncan Kinder" <dckinder(at)mountain(dot)net>
To: "Postgres SQL List" <pgsql-sql(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Money variable
Date: 1999-10-12 22:29:45
Lists: pgsql-sql

I am attempting to enter values for a database used by the book "The
Practical SQL Handbook," (Bowman, et.al, Addison-Wesley, 1996).

This book, using SQL Anywhere, uses a "bookbiz" database, with a "titles"
table. "Tables" includes, among other things, two fields "price" and
"advance" which use the money variable. I am attempting to enter this data
into Postgres.

I cannot enter data into these fields in Postgres. When entering "$20.00"
for price I get the following: "error near '.00'. When entering "$20" I
get "out of range." and when entering "20.00" I get " attribute 'price' is
of type'money' but expression is of type 'float8'. You will have to rewrite
or cast the expression.

I have drooped and re-created the table. I have attempted to enter this
data numerous times. No luck.

How do I enter money data in Postgres?

Regards,

Duncan C. Kinder