index xyz is not a btree

From: "David Parker" <dparker(at)tazznetworks(dot)com>
To: "postgres general" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: index xyz is not a btree
Date: 2005-06-10 19:02:57
Lists: pgsql-general

We are getting the "index xyz is not a btree" error pretty frequently in
our build system (in which we build several databases). This is with
8.0.1 on Solaris 9/intel. During a database build we create the
database, import metadata, import some application data, then finally
run a vacuum on it.

The error only happens intermittently, but every occurrence is
consistent:

1) always the same index - "attribute_pkey" on our "attirbute" table
- one created implicitly by a primary key constraint
2) the error happens during a vacuum command

>From what I have found in the archives the consensus is that this error
comes from a bad disk or a bad build of postgres, but I don't know what
exactly I would have to screw up in configure to get a "bad build" of
postgres (everything seems to be working fine with it, otherwise).

When this occurs we can generally just re-run the build, and it finishes
fine, so maybe it is some kind of disk weirdness, but I have not seen
this with any of our 7.4.5 builds (which may or may not mean
anything....)

Any suggestions about where to look in the source code for clues or
specific debugging I can turn on would be appreciated. Thanks!

- DAP
David Parker Tazz Networks (401) 709-5130