monitoring database activity on solaris

From: "David Parker" <dparker(at)tazznetworks(dot)com>
To: "postgres general" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: monitoring database activity on solaris
Date: 2005-04-06 21:06:44
Lists: pgsql-general

According to the 7.4 doc section on monitoring database activity, one
should be able to see the current activity happening in a given postgres
process. It mentions that on Solaris (which we are running on) you need
to use /usr/ucb/ps, and it also says

" your original invocation of the postmaster command must have a shorter
ps status display than that provided by each server process "

All I seem to get in my ps is the full postmaster command with all its
invocation parameters, and I don't see the postgres process itself. I
can't seem to get that full path + parameters out of the postmaster
display, if that is even the problem....

I realize that this might be more a Solaris question than a postgres
one, but we have a recurring situation where we have a lot of processes
chewing up cpu long after all clients have gone away, and that process
display would help a great deal! I'd be grateful to anybody running
Solaris for any advice.

Thanks.

- DAP
David Parker Tazz Networks (401) 709-5130