Re: Connection pooler / LDAP auth / Load Balancing on read-only queries

From: Scott Ribe <scott_ribe(at)elevated-dev(dot)com>
To: Achilleas Mantzios - cloud <a(dot)mantzios(at)cloud(dot)gatewaynet(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Connection pooler / LDAP auth / Load Balancing on read-only queries
Date: 2024-07-04 12:47:47
Lists: pgsql-admin

> Hello
>
> pgpool does a great job at that. pgpool does load balancing to the first statement that is considered a write statement, for that point on, the rest of the transaction is routed to the primary.
>
> But the question here is how to achieve all of the aforementioned features, of all those great tools combined, or ideally combined in one.

AFAIK, pgpool still doesn't do what I'd consider true pooling, that is MxN multiplexing of connections. (Every client connection has a connection from pgpool -> server, but the server connections become available for resuse when clients disconnect.)

And to me, the mechanism for routing queries in a transaction is highly suspect, as the initial reads vs later writes could potentially be using different snapshots of the data. (There is a safeguard there, involving looking at replication delay, but that's not a transactional guarantee, just "here's how out of date the replica can be to get read queries".)