Re: SQL works but same function is confused

From: "Bui, Michelle P" <michelle(dot)p(dot)bui(at)boeing(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SQL works but same function is confused
Date: 2014-04-02 03:06:19
Lists: pgsql-general

Thanks Tom and Adrian - Here are my SQL and the function:

SELECT category, v_status as status, count (tool_id) AS tool_count
FROM
(SELECT distinct category, tool_id, 'active' as v_status
FROM tools
WHERE time >= 123456
UNION
SELECT distinct e1.category, e1.tool_id, 'inactive' as v_status
FROM tools e1
WHERE not exists
(SELECT e2.category, e2.tool_id
FROM tools e2
WHERE e2.sim_time >= 123456
AND e2.category = e1.category
AND e2.tool_id = e1.tool_id)
) AS derived_table
GROUP BY category, Status

And here is the function:
CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION get_status
RETURNS TABLE (category SMALLINT, status TEXT, tool_count BIGINT) AS
$BODY$

#variable_conflict use_variable
DECLARE
v_status TEXT;
BEGIN
RETURN QUERY SELECT category, v_status as status, count (tool_id) AS tool_count
FROM
(SELECT distinct category, tool_id, 'active' as v_status
FROM tools
WHERE time >= 123456
UNION
SELECT distinct e1.category, e1.tool_id, 'inactive' as v_status
FROM tools e1
WHERE not exists
(SELECT e2.category, e2.tool_id
FROM tools e2