Re: PostgreSQL 17 Beta 1 release announcement draft

From: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
To: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 17 Beta 1 release announcement draft
Date: 2024-05-16 12:05:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 5/15/24 21:45, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
> Please provide feedback no later than Wed 2024-05-22 18:00 UTC. As the
> beta release takes some extra effort, I want to ensure all changes are
> in with time to spare before release day.

"You can find information about all of the features and changes found in
PostgreSQL 17"

Sounds repetitive; maybe:

"Information about all of the features and changes in PostgreSQL 17 can
be found in the [release notes]"

"more explicitly SIMD instructions" I think ought to be "more explicit
SIMD instructions"

"PostgreSQL 17 includes a built-in collation provider that provides
similar semantics to the `C` collation provided by libc."

I think that needs to mention UTF-8 encoding somehow, and "provided by
libc" is not really true; maybe:

"PostgreSQL 17 includes a built-in collation provider that provides
similar sorting semantics to the `C` collation except with UTF-8
encoding rather than SQL_ASCII."

--
Joe Conway
PostgreSQL Contributors Team