best practice for use of functions..

From: "Chris Ochs" <chris(at)paymentonline(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: best practice for use of functions..
Date: 2004-01-14 22:27:48
Lists: pgsql-general

My application does between 20-40 inserts per transaction. I am putting all
of them into functions to limit the calls from the DBI to the database.

My preferred method is to have a function for each table that I do an insert
into, it's easier to manage that way and a lot easier to make changes if I
add/drop columns and tables. Right now I have one function that is called
by my application that in turn calls all the other functions.

I am wondering is there is a significant overhead for calling say 10
functions from within a function compared to putting everything into one
single function? Or are there other reasons why I would want to do it
differently?

Chris