Re: Postgres UPGRADE from 9.2 to 9.4

From: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres UPGRADE from 9.2 to 9.4
Date: 2016-09-06 22:43:52
Lists: pgsql-general

On 9/6/2016 3:27 PM, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Sep 2016, Patrick B wrote:
>
>> 2 - I've never done a Postgres upgrade before, can you give some guide
>> here? Is usually a easy thing? How long can it take? Is a downtime
>> needed?
>

> I suggest the place to start is 'man pg_upgrade.' It is helpful.

pg_upgrade would require both 9.2 (with your existing database
directory) and 9.4 be installed on the same server.

the easiest way to do this upgrade depends heavily on how large the
database is. 'pg_dumpall -h oldserver | psql -h newserver' might be
simplest for modest data sizes, but way too slow for larger data sets.