Random Numbers/Letters

From: "Hillensbeck, Preston" <PHillensbeck(at)sfbcic(dot)com>
To: "'pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Random Numbers/Letters
Date: 2002-03-14 14:57:49
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

This may have been discussed before(I have looked and could not find
much on this), but I need to find a way to generate random numbers and
letters together to insert into a field when a new entry is created. Just
to give you a little insight, I will be accepting images from people and I
want to generate a random line of numbers or letters so that I can put a
name on a picture, and when someone pulls up a profile of the user, it will
pull the picture with the random name out of the directory. I haven't been
able to find much on random number/letter generators within PostgreSQL so I
wanted to post here. If anyone has an easy way for this to be done, please
let me know. Thanks :)

Preston