Postgres installation on Leopard; database on Mac-User-Level

From: Stefan Schwarzer <stefan(dot)schwarzer(at)grid(dot)unep(dot)ch>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Postgres installation on Leopard; database on Mac-User-Level
Date: 2008-01-15 13:40:50
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi there,

I want to create my database not under /etc/.... but under or within
my Mac-user level, that is /Users/schwarzer/....

Now, it seems somewhat complicated - at least for me -, due to the
different read-write permissions, to do that. It worked before, but
now, after re-installing the machine, I really don't get it going...

The commands would be like this:

/usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb -D /Users/schwarzer/Documents/data_postgres
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D /Users/schwarzer/Documents/
data_postgres >logfile 2>&1 &

But, what about the user "schwarzer" and the user "postgres"? How
should it correctly be installed/configured?

Thanks for any advice,

Stef