Re: web programming

From: "Adam Rossi" <adam(dot)rossi(at)platinumsolutions(dot)com>
To: "The Hermit Hacker" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: web programming
Date: 2000-10-17 14:02:57
Lists: pgsql-general

From: "The Hermit Hacker" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>:

> On Tue, 17 Oct 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>

> > Agreed. JDBC needs a major development push.
>
> I've chatted with Peter about this over the past week, and mentioned that
> bringing in a second developer with CVS access might be an option to
> pursue ... the fun part is, who else has both the time and the knowledge
> to deal with committing changes to the source tree?
>
> Adam?

I think the JDBC driver is an intimidating project, because it requires
PostgreSQL-specific knowledge, Java skills, and familiarity with the JDBC
specs. Luckily, this driver is a pure Java implementation, which makes it
easier for us Java-centric programmers.

Although we are chronically overextended these days, I would like to pledge
my development support to improving the JDBC driver. However, my experience
is overwhelmingly on the "consumer" side of a JDBC driver, not on the
internal or database side. I would need some direction to be an effective
contributor at this point. To-do lists that focus on known trouble spots or
weaknesses would be very helpful.

- Adam

Adam Rossi
President, PlatinumSolutions, Inc.
adam(dot)rossi(at)platinumsolutions(dot)com
http://www.platinumsolutions.com
P.O. Box 31 Oakton, VA 22124
PH: 703.352.8576 FAX: 703.352.8577