storing passwords

From: "Cima" <ruel(dot)cima(at)facinf(dot)uho(dot)edu(dot)cu>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: storing passwords
Date: 2005-04-06 06:44:22
Lists: pgsql-novice

hi,

i dont remember if someone already asked this but here goes.
i have a users table in my database that i will use to control the access of information on my site. its really simple, i have the following:

tusers(username text, password text, accesslevel int)

what id like to know is if there is a way of storing these passwords as nonplain text or in an encrypted form. i know mysql has an internal function/datatype that when specified, it encrypts the values given. is there anything like this in postgresql 8.0.1?
if not, any sugestions on how to store these passwords?

thanx.