Constraint Error effect on PostgreSQL

From: "Christian Paul B(dot) Cosinas" <cpc(at)cybees(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Constraint Error effect on PostgreSQL
Date: 2006-03-13 11:25:00
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi Fellow PostgreSQL users,

Just a question here.

Is there any bad effect on the PostgreSQL performance If I encounter many
fails on inserting records to database with primary key column.

For example I have this table

CREATE TABLE unique_items
(
item_id text NOT NULL,
CONSTRAINT unique_items_pkey PRIMARY KEY (item_id),
CONSTRAINT unique_item_id_fk FOREIGN KEY (item_id)
REFERENCES items (item_id) MATCH SIMPLE
ON UPDATE CASCADE ON DELETE CASCADE
)
WITH OIDS;

With these valu:

Unique items
Item001

Then I have a program that insert 1(one) million times like this:
Insert into unique_items(item_id) values('Item001)

Ofcourse we all know that it will fail because there is already a record in
the database.

Would there be any bad effect on the database or none?

Regards,
Ian

http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html