Re: Move configuration files with pg_upgrade

From: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
To: Tanja Savic <tanja(dot)savic(at)crossmasters(dot)com>, "pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Move configuration files with pg_upgrade
Date: 2020-06-04 22:26:07
Lists: pgsql-general

On 6/4/20 12:52 PM, Tanja Savic wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I did Postgresql upgrade from v10 to v12 using pg_upgrade (on Linux
> Ubuntu server).
> Of course i wanted settings inpg_hba.conf and postgresql.conf to keep,
> but after the upgrade there were new configuration files and I moved it
> manually.

That is documented:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/pgupgrade.html

"
Restore pg_hba.conf

If you modified pg_hba.conf, restore its original settings. It might
also be necessary to adjust other configuration files in the new cluster
to match the old cluster, e.g. postgresql.conf.
"

The new version's conf files will probably have new settings available
so this is something that should be reviewed before moving over. One way
to deal with this is include file(s):

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/config-setting.html#CONFIG-INCLUDES

Using them you create the settings you want to manage in the include
file. Then copy that over and set the include 'some_file' in the new
postgresql.conf and you are good.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com