Re: Show method of index

From: decibel <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Greg Stark <greg(dot)stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Ricardo Bessa <ricardobessa(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Show method of index
Date: 2009-05-19 15:31:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On May 19, 2009, at 10:27 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> On May 19, 2009, at 10:02 AM, Greg Stark
>> <greg(dot)stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
>> wrote:
>>> One advantage of the current arrangement is that the constraints and
>>> triggers are almost (though not quite) in the same form as the
>>> command to create them. It would be sad to lose that competely.
>
>> Agreed.
>
> +1 --- I *very* often find myself copying-and-pasting from \d output,
> and the proposed tabular format would be a huge step backwards for
> that. Personally I kinda wish that the column display were closer
> to what CREATE TABLE wants ...

Hmm.... what if we made the default to be all-tabular output, but had
a different command that would spit out the SQL to re-create something?

(I agree that the cut-and-paste ability is extremely handy and
wouldn't want to remove it.)
--
Decibel!, aka Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect decibel(at)decibel(dot)org