Catalog Bloat in Development - Frequently dropping/adding schemas and objects

From: "David Johnston" <polobo(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Catalog Bloat in Development - Frequently dropping/adding schemas and objects
Date: 2012-06-29 20:45:42
Lists: pgsql-general

In my current development environment I often drop some or all of the
schemas in the database and then re-create them schemas and the objects they
contain. When I go to bring up the database in my GUI it takes a
considerable amount of time to initialize. I suspect this is because the
catalog tables are becoming bloated. What is the recommended course of
action to de-bloat them? Running an unqualified vacuum does not seem to
help. Is it better to just periodically drop and recreate the database
itself or would a vacuum with specific tables listed be sufficient - and if
so which tables?

Thanks!

David J.