Trying to append text to the end of a text string

From: "Adam Lawrence" <adam(at)mediasculpt(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Trying to append text to the end of a text string
Date: 2005-10-05 22:30:53
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi

I am trying to append text onto the end of a text variable.

I have the text variable P_IDT_ID, I want to add the letter S to the end of it, so I tried the following line in my code:

P_IDT_ID := P_IDT_ID && cast(''S'' as text);

However, I got the following error message:

ERROR: operator does not exist: text && text
HINT: No operator matches the given name and argument type(s). You may need to add explicit type casts.
CONTEXT: SQL statement "SELECT $1 && cast('S' as text)"
PL/pgSQL function "f_create_index_currency_inversion" line 28 at assignment

Note I am using PL/pgSQL.

Can you help?

Thanks
Adam