Re: Advice for "hot-swapping" databases

From: "Woody Woodring" <george(dot)woodring(at)iglass(dot)net>
To: "'Kynn Jones'" <kynnjo(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "'pgsql-general General'" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Advice for "hot-swapping" databases
Date: 2008-06-16 13:30:06
Lists: pgsql-general

If the databases are on the same machine, I could see creating a template
database and then use:

createdb -T templateName newDbName

It will create the new db exactly like the template. I think createdb does
this by default using the database template1 as the template.

My databases are all on different machines, so I use perl/psql to create
them. I have a sql directory that has a separate sql file for each table
and function I want to create and the perl script 'cat's them to psql in the
correct order.

Woody