Re: [EXT]: Re: BUG #18604: Regression in PostgreSQL 16.4: pg_dump Prevents Essential System Table Modifications

From: Christophe Pettus <xof(at)thebuild(dot)com>
To: Basha <Basha(at)maxcontact(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Bug List <pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [EXT]: Re: BUG #18604: Regression in PostgreSQL 16.4: pg_dump Prevents Essential System Table Modifications
Date: 2024-09-07 01:48:57
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> On Sep 6, 2024, at 18:40, Basha <Basha(at)maxcontact(dot)com> wrote:
>
> I mean the case where, changes to system tables made. pg_dump to do granular control over it.
> Which means the pg_dump will work on the dev environments too, when there is a change to the system tables.

Anything's possible, but just speaking for myself, that doesn't seem like an attractive area of development. I don't think it's possible to guarantee that pg_dump (or anything else) will always work with arbitrary system catalog modifications.

The real problem you're trying to solve that that users can discover the existence of databases that they can't connect to. That's much more imaginable, although I'm not sure how practical it would be. At minimum, the default behavior would have to be the same as it is now (or lots of things that work now would break), so introducing a new role privilege of "can see all databases" wouldn't be a great way forward.