RE: Performance monitor

From: Mike Mascari <mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com>
To: "'Denis Perchine'" <dyp(at)perchine(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: Performance monitor
Date: 2001-03-13 10:58:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth, but it seems to me that the
performance monitor should wait until the now-famous query tree redesign
which will allow for sets from functions. I realize that the shared memory
requirements might be a bit large, but somehow Oracle accomplishes this
nicely, with some > 50 views (V$ACCESS through V$WAITSTAT) which can be
queried, usually via SQL*DBA, for performance statistics. More then 50
performance views may be over-kill, but having the ability to fetch the
performance statistics with normal queries sure is nice. Perhaps a
postmaster option which would enable/disable the use of accumulating
performance statistics in shared memory might ease the hesitation against
it?

Mike Mascari
mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com